amazon

Monday, December 23, 2013

Happy Christmas

Here we are, almost to the Big Day! I hope you all are doing fun and relaxing things with loved ones and enjoying the countdown to Christmas. Tonight we braved the cold and went over to a neighboring town to see the big Main Street Christmas Tree. 

(This is the town where we go to the grocery store and that kind of stuff. You know, the big town. See that stop light? It's just a flashing red light and it's the only one in town.)

Now, when I say "big" tree let me clarify that in the city I used to live in they had Christmas trees in the museums and other buildings at least twice the size of this one. But around here, this is the "BIG" tree! And it is spectacular in my opinion! It's right smack in the middle of Main Street. As in, you actually have to drive around it to get down the street.

Hey, I warned you it was no Rockefeller tree! I don't care, I adore this tree, the small town folks who thought to put it here, and all the ones who come out to gaze up at it just as happily as those looking at that Rockefeller tree tonight!

I thought since probably most of you reading this are homesteaders too, I would share one other tradition we have that I think you might find interesting. We have a ladybug ornament on our Christmas tree and lots of people wonder why we would have a bug on the tree, so here's the ladybug legend:

Centuries ago, in Europe, farmers were having a terrible time with aphids. Their crops were being destroyed at an alarming rate. The farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary to help them save their crops and protect their livelihood. Soon many thousands of little red spotted bugs appeared and began to eat the aphids. The farmers were so thankful that their prayers had been answered that they decided to name the bugs after Mary, also know as "Our Lady". So, having a ladybug on the tree is viewed as a symbol of these answered prayers and also for the hope for blessings with the crops in the coming year.
 I hope for many blessing in your homes, in your barns, in your fields, in your lives this season and in the coming year. 

Merry Christmas!

This post was shared over at:


No comments:

Post a Comment