amazon

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Apple butter and Christmas quilts

Got the apple butter done! Though I might make another batch or two cause it is fabulousI don't have a picture of this one because it turns out that apple butter is not very photogenic. Or at least not with my camera! This is another super simple recipe with great results! Just put 4 quarts of finely chopped tart apples into your crock pot, then in a separate dish, mix together 2 1/2 cups sugar, 3 tsp Allspice, and 1/8 tsp salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples. Cook on high 3 hours, stirring every hour. Then turn down to low and cook 10-12 hours or until the butter is thick and dark, stirring occasionally with a whisk to make the butter smooth. Then you can either pour it into sterilized jars and seal, or freeze in freezer bags or containers. It will be wonderful on waffles some cold morning this Winter!

One of my other projects today was to do a  little work on one of the quilts I'm making the kids for Christmas. Last Summer I found all their old infant receiving blankets in a closet. I had saved them because they are all so sweet, but they were just taking up space so I put them in a pile to donate. But then I thought they would make really cute quilts for the kids so I got them back out and cut them all into quilting squares. Then they just sat there again because I could never seem to find the time  to work on them. Now, finally, I'm getting back to them! I've sewn all the squares together to make 2 small quilts just about the right size for the kids to curl up on the couch with.

Each of the kids chose the fabric they wanted for the back and I got the front, batting, and back pined together. I wanted to do the old-fashioned hand tied quilt because I have one that my parents made together (they stitched the entire thing by hand!) about 50 years ago, so to me it has a nostalgic feel and I think it's such a warm, rustic look. So today I got started tying! 

I hope to have both quilts done to give the kids for Christmas. I know... it seems like it should be really easy to get two small quilts done in three months, but between kids, house, animals, and APPLES time has been flying by!

No comments:

Post a Comment